Monday, October 03, 2011

New Green Smoothie Combo

When Aidan was in his school at the Berkeley Thai Temple yesterday, I discovered that a local Berkeley Bowl natural food store was just two blocks away. I went in without any intention to buy anything, just wanted to pass some time before lunch.

Berkeley Bowl is famous for abundant produce, cheap produce with many different varieties of fruits and vegetables. Often times prices are half of what you'd pay at a Safeway or Lucky grocery store chain and even farmer's markets!

So I ended up buying a big grocery bag full of yummy produce to have for dinners and for my green smoothies.

Today's smoothie I tried something different. I bought some raw flax seed meal. Flax seed has lots of Omega 3 fatty acids that help combat bad cholesterol and has lots of fiber! So I put a scoop of that into my smoothie today.

For greens, I saw something there I'd never seen before: green pea sprouts! And for only $1.89/lb! I paid $1.89 for the 4 oz tub of little clover sprouts, so the same price for 4 times as much sprouts was such a deal, so I got about a pound of it to use as my main green vegetable for my smoothie today. So total was combined clover and sweet pea sprouts. While at Berkeley Bowl I bought a type of organic kale I'd not seen before, but it didn't go into the smoothie today. I plan to try it out later this week!

The rest of the smoothie was made up of:
  • frozen pineapple and strawberries
  • 1.5 cups of unsweetened organic soy milk
  • 3 scoops of whey protein vanilla shake mix
  • a few sprinkles of steevia extract sweetener
This makes enough for two breakfasts. The sprouts give a very strong flavor and I couldn't consume it all in one go. I had half, took Aidan to school, got back from my powerwalk and now I was just able to finish it.

With it being October already, that means I've been drinking green smoothies on a fairly regular basis for 10 months now. Knock wood, I've hardly gotten sick and have been feeling healthy and fantastic!

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Amy, I love love LOVE green smoothies! I add coconut water in mine. The water is supposed to be chock full of nutritional goodies so I figure I have it covered. Also added: spinach, green apples, Apple Cider Vinegar, ginger... and other fruity bits. To keep the smoothie from being that LOUD 'don't eat me' green, I add a handful of winter fruits (especially the dark purple berries).

Amy T said...

Yummo! So you've been able to keep up the green smoothie habit in Bangkok? I hope to continue the habit as well.

The recipe I posted ended up tasting too "sprouty". My fave is with spinach, mango and pineapple. Your combinations sound delicious - Thailand has an abundance of those fruity bits to choose from!

bill starkey said...

me too!!! dad