Sunday, July 22, 2012

Modifying food choices even further

A few weeks ago I decided to eliminate dairy products from my diet just to see what would happen. I've had one common recurring health issue that many women get that has plagued me since I was in my 20s off and on. I found out that this issue is likely caused by milk and its other by-products.

I don't drink milk, but I do consume plenty of dairy: yogurt, cheese, half n half in my coffee. It's not a whole lot, but enough just the same. So I bought some soy creamer and a couple cartons of almond milk and coconut milk at Trader Joe's. I tried coffee with just the almond milk one afternoon and it was rather nasty. Half soy creamer and half almond milk was good. I don't want to go too heavy on soy products because that can be unhealthy too, so I try and balance it out.

A week ago I got the book Skinny Bitch from the library. In the past I was was put off from reading it because I had heard it was rather vulgar, but in the end, the salty language made it funny and not much different from how I hear people talk today anyway. But the basic message in the book is to recommend a vegan diet because it is the healthiest and most morally responsible way to eat.

So now I've been eating vegetarian as often as possible, filling up on my fresh fruit and vegetable juice in the morning and eating a big salad before having lunch or dinner. I've been trying out tempeh and making more vegetarian dinners. I've eliminated Diet Coke and have seltzer water or club soda if I want something bubbly. I put away the Splenda and now use raw agave nectar and use my steevia more often - no more artificial sweeteners.

I've lost SEVEN pounds!

I'd like to lose another 10-15 pounds, even more if possible. I've never been very overweight, just a little bit, and those pounds added up slowly over the years beginning with my happy comfort 5 pounds I put on just before getting  married. It needs to come off.

My husband is not vegetarian, nor contemplating a vegan diet, but to his credit (and he deserves a lot of credit) he has also modified his eating habits. This is a man who used to insist on meat for every meal and he'd eat big portions of meat. His weakness was beef.

He's now open to having beef only once a week, (I'll eat a different vegetarian meal on that day). The rest of the week has lighter meats with less portion sizes and a vegetarian meal once a week. He incorporates more vegetables into his meals and even joins me with a morning juice, something unheard of earlier!

Here are a couple of websites I enjoy reading that has been helpful:
Vegan Coach
Green Smoothie Girl
Forks Over Knives (great movie you MUST see. Their articles and recipes are terrific resources.)
Happy Cow

Do you have any recommendations? Success stories? I'd also love to hear comments if YOU are vegan or vegetarian with a non-veg spouse.

8 comments:

The Robertsons of Mumbai said...

I love Kris Carr's book "Crazy Sexy Diet". Also Brenda Davis' book "Becoming Vegan" is a must-have. I *hope* to have a raw/vegan ice cream ebook out at the end of the year if you would like to be a recipe tester! ;)

For cookbooks - Veganomicon is a good one to have on hand.

Amy T said...

Thank you so much for your recommendations! I certainly have Veganomicon on my wish list, and I'll check out the other two.

Can't wait for your ice cream book!

Girl In Isaan said...

Hi, I've just discovered your blog - I'm a British woman living in Thailand with my Thai husband (we met and lived in London until recently). I've only read the first few months and I'm aware you've moved back to the USA but am looking forward to reading about your time in Thailand and ), your move back to the USA (we are planning to move back to the UK eventually. I have already seen some familiar thoughts and feelings in your blog and I love the mix of positive and negative (honest/realistic!) as I feel that too
http://girlinisaan.wordpress.com/

emma olivia said...

고양오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐고양마사지⟐고양안마⟐고양유흥⟐고양휴게텔⟐고양풀싸롱⟐고양키스방⟐고양건마⟐고양리얼돌⟐고양출장안마⟐고양룸싸롱⟐고양OP

emma olivia said...

종로오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐종로마사지⟐종로안마⟐종로유흥⟐종로휴게텔⟐종로풀싸롱⟐종로키스방⟐종로건마⟐종로리얼돌⟐종로출장안마⟐종로룸싸롱⟐종로OP

emma olivia said...

중구오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐중구마사지⟐중구안마⟐중구유흥⟐중구휴게텔⟐중구풀싸롱⟐중구키스방⟐중구건마⟐중구리얼돌⟐중구출장안마⟐중구룸싸롱⟐중구OP

emma olivia said...

용산오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐용산마사지⟐용산안마⟐용산유흥⟐용산휴게텔⟐용산풀싸롱⟐용산키스방⟐용산건마⟐용산리얼돌⟐용산출장안마⟐용산룸싸롱⟐용산OP

emma olivia said...

성동오피【bamclick1。com】◈밤클릭◈ ⟐성동마사지⟐성동안마⟐성동유흥⟐성동휴게텔⟐성동풀싸롱⟐성동키스방⟐성동건마⟐성동리얼돌⟐성동출장안마⟐성동룸싸롱⟐성동OP