Sunday, October 29, 2006

Daylight Savings Rant

Oh my god, it's that dreaded, STUPID time of year again to change the clocks back an hour and the entire country (with the exception of AZ and HI) gets flooded in darkness come 5 PM.

Nowadays most people work indoors, and going to work and stepping into an office when its still dark isn't a problem because there are lights you can turn on. It's still daylight AFTER work, too, when your personal life begins.

I don't care if I work in the dark in the morning. I don't want to come home in the dark too. Thailand made so much sense when I lived there. It had no daylight savings. It got dark by 6 PM in the dead of winter and by 7:30 or 8 PM in the summer months. That's not enough of a change in time to make it worth changing your clock and complicating transportation systems and computer programs. Good lord.

And now our Congress, in its infinate wisdom, has passed a law that will EXTEND this stupid time change an extra two months! It will now begin in November and end in March. So we will get only 4 months of common sense. It just pisses me off to no end. Does anyone have any LOGICAL explanation for this that I'm not understanding or seeing????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe I am being backwards, but isn't it working in our favor? We spring forward earlier and fall back later, right? I think we are coming out ahead........

Cheryl~

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

i heard it had something to do with conserving energy? i dunno. not sure why the gov't would be concerned w/ conserving energy in this regard and not when it comes to oil. oh wait, too much $$ tied up there.
anyway, i'm kind of liking it this year because it now means we are waking up at a reasonable hour and ava is going to bed at a reasonable hour. i'm sure it won't last though. ;)

Anonymous said...

If you had a small child walking to school/bus stop early mornings, you'd understand. It is dark early mornings in the winter months. When the kids come home after school it is still light with the time change. I'm VERY glad the time changed this weekend. My child was waiting for the bus in blackness the last few weeks, now it's much safer.