Monday, June 28, 2004

Homesick

Yesterday I got a bout of homesickness. Thank god for Golf being there with me while I bitched and complained. It all started when I bought a magazine from an old magazine/book shop that sells outdated materials that didn't sell in stores. It was a SELF magazine, four years old, but with some good articles on fitness. I also got a little homesick surfing online earlier too.

We were standing in line at Tops, the grocery store, in the 8 items or less aisle and the woman two people ahead of us had a whole cart full of groceries. She was dressed nicely though and the cashier said nothing. In the States, she'd be told that this is an express line, please go to another line -- wouldn't matter if you are wearing Gucci or not. Here, if you look wealthy, your butt gets kissed day after day of the week and you are an exception to the rules. Thais have rank and social order and while we do too to a degree in the States, we still treat everyone as equals in everyday situations. It made me sick. I like how we show RESPECT for those who have much by the achievements they have made. We don't bow before them and grovel before them. This is the Asian way and I don't like it at all. This is what made me homesick yesterday...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNA!

No comments: