Friday, July 20, 2007

Awoke with a jolt

This morning at 4:42 AM the earth rumbled from a 4.2 magnitude earthquake. I bolted upright in bed, heart hammering in my chest, Golf sleeping soundly next to me. He didn't know a thing. Apparently Aidan didn't know a thing either since there was no sound coming from his room. Surprisingly I was able to fall back asleep about 10 minutes later despite worries of aftershocks. Golf asked me when he woke up why one of the toys we're selling on eBay was on the floor. He was dumbfounded when I told him that an earthquake knocked it off the shelf! Well, once we move to Sacramento, we won't have to worry about earthquakes any more.

Today we went to Chinatown in Oakland so Golf could get a haircut and do some grocery shopping. One fruit that is in season right now is the lychee fruit. When I lived in Thailand, I would eat lychee, rambutan and longan fruits. I really miss those fruits, all of which are similar in that they are peeled and have a sweet, juicy white flesh with a seed in the middle. I ate a lot them, especially rambutans, when I was pregnant. So when I see lychee fruits for sale I buy them up, even if they are a little expensive. Golf and I have been in heaven! Even Aidan likes them, though he's not as crazy about them as we are.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lychees remind me of eyeballs :( I can't eat them........

~Cheryl

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

holy smokes! glad you all were ok. i don't know if i could handle living in CA. i think the earthquakes would scare the pants off of me.

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of the time you took me to Golden Gate Park back in January of 2001. There was this exhibit where you could go in and see what it was like to experience and earthquake. You had already been in before, but you told me to check it out. I declined because I thought I would never have to worry about going through a quake. The next month, I happened to experience the "Rattle in Seattle". I have never been so scared in my entire life! And it happened on my 31st birthday!

~Cheryl~