Sunday, September 26, 2004

Out and about

So yesterday Golf and I ventured downtown first and foremost to go to the Goddess Tiptum shrine to make merit to her for granting our wish for pregnancy. We gave rice and 3 main dishes, drink, fruit and dessert and then lit incense and a candle each as part of the ritual. It felt good to do this. :)

After our obligation had been met, we went shopping! First we had some food, and I ate some lamb curry and garlic naan. I kind of miss Indian food sometimes, and this food court they have at the nearby department store has all different kinds of cuisines, so Golf had his roast duck with rice and I had my Indian. We shared some good dim sum too.

Then he he went to get his hair cut and I went to the book store and got the book set What to Expect when You're Expecting along with Baby's First Year. Golf knows nothing about babies or pregnancy so this is good material for him to absorb. He's also learning even more English words that he had never heard of before, mostly medical terminology.

I'm at 5 weeks and one day today. I'm greatly concerned about gaining too much weight, as most women are. I put on a few 'contentment' pounds about a month after getting married, and now I'm preggo and already nearly fitting my size 12 pants again. I'm normally a 10 or 11, but I have a few of my 'fat' pants here from when I first moved back to Thailand and I was heavier. So I'm really going to try and eat carefully and not gain much my first trimester. It is my goal to be back to my size 10 or 11 close to the time when we come back to the States in one year. I'll have had 4 months to work out by that time. Hopefully anyway, there is no telling what the reality will be once the baby is here.

I've been noticing my mood sensitivity. I went into the grocery store that's in the basement of the above mentioned department store and there is a ton of imported 'farang food' from the States, Australia, Europe and Britain. But do you think you can find any decaffinated black tea?!!? NO!!! I was so frustrated I was nearly in tears and I really missed home, where you can get it with no problem. I did, however, find some Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger tea and got a box. I also splurged on some canned salmon (no mercury in it like tuna, which I had been eating fairly regulary) some tortillia chips and salsa and 2 small breads (like single servings) to go with some salads I like to get during the week. It made me feel better.

What made me feel worse though, was taking a tour around the maternity section at one department store. The pants are made for tiny Thai women with itty bitty hips. Sure the stomach part will fit me, but it will do no good if I can't get my gargantuan ass in them. I was ready to cry, because the alternitave is giant UGLY muumuu-type dresses most Thai women have to wear in this country because they are cheap. So we checked out another department store and the clothes are decent, even cute, but VERY EXPENSIVE. Like about $50 US per piece!!! There is no in-between here. You either look hideous in a K-Mart equivalent muumuu tent dress or you have a Macy's equivalent department store. I might have my mother get me some things at Old Navy maternity, where you can get really CUTE things for $20 or less. Today made me feel very homesick for some things. But I can get through it.

My colleague from my former school is leaving after being in Thailand for 3 years. She's had enough and her contract ends in October. She's so looking forward to going back home and her going away party is tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends from Chatrwittaya. I will break my preggo news to them this evening. :)


1 comment:

Amy T said...

I sure will... I am going to see if either you or Mother could send me a few things. I really like Old Navy's stuff and perhaps I might ask for a bra and a few undies from Target.