Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Thailand bottle feeds too

I think the US is beginning to move more toward breast feeding than it used to, but I think Thailand is still primarily a bottle feeding nation. I've yet to see any woman bfing in public -- I'm the only one whose done it lately that I know of...

This brings me to the point. Yesterday my former colleague who lives in the same condo unit as we do knocked on the door while I was nursing. I had to snap up real quick and luckily Aidan was already finished. Anne had brought me a BEAUTIFUL gift basket from one of the parents of my students from last year. It was so thoughtful and generous and I truly appreciate the kindess of this parent. What was in the gift basket? Lots and lots of bottles and bottle accessories. I have yet to use a bottle since Aidan was born. Fortunately I saw a teething ring, a pacifier and some bowls with suction cups good for training with solid foods for later. I just couldn't help but be disappointed that it will be likely that I won't be able to use most of what this parent gave me. We shall keep it though, just in case because you never know what the future may bring...

2 comments:

Indiamommy said...

Are there any Thailand parenting websites? India has one, and the mothers talk about breastfeeding all the time. As for the bottles, that's a bummer! But maybe you will find a foster mother or adoptive mom who is not breastfeeding, and nees bottles.

I used bottles, and breastfed, because all three of my kids had the bottle before they came to me. I bought bottles to use in India, and on the way home. For Ravi, I both bottle fed and breastfed. I wasn't comfortable enough to breastfeed in public (NIP - nursing in public). But by the time Lakshmi came along, I was so worried about her getting enough calories, that I nursed her where ever we were...parks, stores, the opera, you name it.

I only used the bottles later to mix the formula when I needed to suppliment.

Maybe you will express breastmilk and Golf will care for Aiden while you get your hair cut, or whatever. If you can't use them, just donate them to someone. I know of a woman from Arkansas who lives in Chang Mai, and she is foster mother for children who are orphans. They stay with her, then the child's family from the US will pick up the child.

I bet a breastfeeding friendly gift would have been more fun! Sorry!

Amy T said...

Yes, I plan to donate any bottles I don't use. Whether I take them back to the States with me first or not is also up to my DH. He says we may need them in the future.