Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Weight loss woes

I gave birth to Aidan just over a month ago and I immediately lost 20 pounds. It is said that breast feeding promotes weight loss and Aidan is being exclusively breast fed. Well, in the last month I have lost exactly 0 pounds! I have cut back on the amount of food I eat (but still more than I ate pre-pregnancy since I'm nursing) and I exercise every day. I take all 12 flights of stairs going down and take 5 flights going up. I powerwalk nearly every day for a minimum of 40 minutes. I also do a pilates post pregnancy exercise video every other day. The scale is not budging. Why why why?!?!? This is certainly not a weight my body is targeted for. I need lose 30 pounds. My natural weight falls at around 140 and I haven't budged from 170. It makes me depressed about my looks and when I'm already homesick and still waiting for my husband's visa to come through, it doesn't help my mood.

4 comments:

Mel said...

Oh dear Aima, give yourself a freakin' break! If ever there was a legitimate reason for carring some extra pounds, it's that you've just had a baby and you're breastfeeding. Just because Aidan is not inside you, your body is not your own yet. Biologically, it is still hosting as "mother of baby". ("heh, she thinks she knows what she's talking about.")

Don't be scared that it won't ever come off. Don't even think about it and get yourself all worked up. It is only emotionally self-defeating, and we won't have any of that! I can't wait until you get here, so we can go shopping and walk around Union Square with a stroller in tow ;). I think you need your girlfriends! (I know I need you here).

Lots of love,
Mellie

Amy T said...

Oh Mellie, thank you for your words of support. I'm sure parts of my mood are related to needing my friends back home, namely you! :) I think the weight will melt off once we're back in the States and I have a stroller to buzz around in.

Nat said...

I agree with your friend, Amy. Be patient and keep your head up, and keep doing what you're doing...

What a great birthday your son has! Mine too! =)

Melinda said...

Your friend Mel has hit it right on the head. You are still providing 100% for the nutritional needs of a baby, even if the baby isn't inside you. The weight will come off when your body is ready to let go of it. Until then, don't push yourself so hard that you make yourself tired and wrung out and anemic!!