Saturday, April 16, 2005

How things will be different

Just brainstorming with DH yesterday about our move back to the States and the big changes ahead. We're getting our game plan together about packing already! So many things are going to be different there than here in Bangkok. It's truly going to be a different life.

* A baby to make our family three! Constant care and attention.
* I will be closer to my friends and family and will get to see them and talk to them much more often. That's something I'm really looking forward to.
* Libraries. How I miss being able to check out lots of books in English for FREE.
* New job for me -- taking care of the baby, running the household and helping DH with his business.
* DH will be much more busy with his work, whereas here he gets jobs periodically due to the fact that all his clients are US-based.
* I will be COOKING again. Here I have no real kitchen and we eat out for just about every meal because it's actually cheaper than cooking. (It's true!)
* We'll get a car and be driving again. Neither of us own a car here, and we'd be crazy to try and drive around in Bangkok. We intend to own ONE car and use it frugally due to such high gas prices.
* All the luxuries that new parents must give up -- for us in particular would be going to the movies on a regular basis. It's fairly cheap here to go. For two people it's less than $7 and on my salary, it's easily affordable. This change will happen right after the baby's born, but restaurants in Thailand are different. Food markets where we usually eat, and casual restaurants are highly tolerable to infants and young children, so we'll still be able to eat out like we normally do.
* Gee, poor me, I will have to do my own manicures and pedicures upon returning to the States. Here in Thailand, getting a manicure and pedicure is incredibly cheap, as are facials and massages. I haven't gotten a facial or massage since becoming pregnant, but plan to after the baby gets here before we move back.
* I will be able to watch TV again and listen to the radio. For DH it's no problem, since he is Thai he watches Thai news programs on TV. I can only watch DVDs and use the internet for my entertainment at home. I look forward to seeing my favorite programs on TV in English in the USA and I will also get my KGO Radio fix -- I admit to being addicted to that station!

These are just a few of the things I was able to come up with right off the top of my head.

No comments: