Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Songkran -- Thai New Year

April 13-15 this year marks the lunar Thai New Year called Songkran. It is famous throwing water, and making merit to your parents, monks and the Lord Buddha. This time last year I was visiting my own parents in California, but I have participated in the revelry-making a couple years ago, and it was alot of fun. Thais and foreigners alike really get into it. This year, however, my husband and I are laying low in our apartment. An 8 1/2 months pregnant lady isn't exactly up for merriment and getting soaked with water outside in the heat. I watched many of the festivities on a TV special that broadcast from many different cities in Thailand. For those of you who have never heard of Songkran, there's a quick little photo gallery from BBC World and a well-done more extensive website that teaches you the history, rituals and activities as well as a photo gallery. Enjoy and I hope you learn a little about a different culture today. :)

No comments: