Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Latest tidbits

Yesterday Golf and I left for our doctor's appointment in town. I left school at noon and we got into town to Subway just before 1 and we enjoyed a sandwich for lunch before going to the hospital. It's quite a long walk from the Skytrain station to the hospital and lately the weather has been unbearably hot and humid. Take a look at the weather page for Bangkok here. Yes, it says heat index 115F!!!! JESUS CHRIST, MAN! We took it slow and easy to the hospital. My clothes were sticking to me and I was sweating like a pig. And I'm already hotter than ususal as I enter into my 9th month. You can read about my doctor's appointment in my pregnancy journal if you're interested. All's going well!

Our doctor's appt ended at about 2:30 but the prenatal class didn't begin til 5, so we had some time to kill, and we went to our favorite mall for more bread and just to hang out til time to go back. We had to take a taxi there though because of the long walk to the skytrain at both places. Normally I can do it with no problem, but with this heat and more of a suseptibility to get too hot right now, we had to spend the money and deal with the traffic. So we enjoyed a Starbuck's coffee (decaf for me) and Golf had bought a few more Thai books and I got my bread fix.

After our prenatal class ended at 6:30 or so, we went to an Egyptian restaurant for dinner! Our hospital is near an area of town called "Little Arabia" and that's obviously where there is a large population of Middle Easterners. I had been to a restaurant there before with Haviva and it was tasty, and this time I just chose a random restaurant that said it was an Egyptian place. Just for something different.

I ordered tabouli, this fried bread stuffed with fragrant meat and a lamb biriyani type rice. All the food was just delicious. It came with an appetizer of pickled vegetables, green onions and lime wedges. I ate the pickles, but wasn't completely sure what the onion and lime were for.
The tabouli was great, but could have used more of the cracked wheat, but the abundant parsely was very refreshing in the heat. It was tangy with the lemon, but not too sour. My favorite dish was the meat-stuffed bread. Not too greasy and the meat was seasoned beautifully. It was served on a bed of shredded cabbage, which was OK, but I didn't eat much of the cabbage. The lamb with rice was delicious too, but the lamb was terribly fatty in some parts. The meaty parts weren't too gamey and it was tender, so that made up for the fatty bits. The rice was flavored with tumeric and saffron and had some crispy fried onions on the top for garnish. Lovely. It was just the right amount, as we weren't sure how much was enough when ordering. Good thing we didn't get more!

No comments: