Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Movie and a new haircut

Yesterday Golf and I ventured forth into town. I hadn't been in town in a few weeks, and we wanted to go to see a movie and get to my favorite bakery to stock up on the breads that I like. It's also the Thai New Year -- Songkran -- the big water festival. A significant population of Bangkok has up and left the city to go to their hometowns making it easier to get around for us with less traffic and crowds. Today begins the water throwing, so I'm glad we went out yesterday and can stay inside the rest of the time.

We went to see the movie Hitch. Golf and I ususally like to see at least a couple movies a month, but lately they've all not been interesting til this one came along. I like Will Smith and the movie was really funny and lighthearted. We found out that the new Star Wars movie is supposed to be released the day my mother arrives to Bangkok -- one week before my due date. We'll have to beg her to come see it with us if the baby isn't already here or on his way. That movie will truly be our last one in the theatre for a long time.

Lately I've also been feeling down about my looks. No surprise there with my weight gain and pregnancy hormones all amok. But I'd been especially unhappy with my hair in the twice failed attempt to color it the way I wanted. It's still a bit too dark for my liking but it will do for now. What I wanted was a slight change in style. The leading lady in the movie had long hair with lots of layering, shorter at the top and cascading down. Really sexy but modern, almost a shag but her hair is too long for that. I'd contemplated that style for awhile. Then looking at my reflection in the mirror after the movie made me want it more -- I looked horrible! Golf's hair salon happens to be in the same mall we frequent and he said why don't I just go in for a cut today? It was a total spur of the moment thing, but I agreed, and only 200 Baht, which is about $5! And he did a superb job! I'm really happy. No length taken off the back, but my hair is shaped differently now, but not a whole lot different.

I don't want to be the woman who has the same hairdo as she had in high school, nor do I want to be a woman who has the hairstyle of a 20 year old -- you know, that try too hard look? Mid thirties can be tricky. I still want sexy but a tiny bit more mature than more radical cuts that teenagers and 20 somethings can get away with. Kinda like clothes too, which I will have to rethink once I get my figure back.

No comments: