Friday, April 29, 2005

Last day and a complication

Today is the last day of summer school and we just finished the performance that the school puts on for the parents. My class did well as all the kids did and I'm now officially done!

However yesterday I discovered a glitch in my immigration status. My passport is stamped until September, but my work permit could be cancelled at any time after the termination of my employment. If that happens, I have exactly seven days to leave the country. They know this when they look up my passport number in the computer at the airport. So the director today said that he could use me to help tutor some kids until we leave the country in late July or early August, and I believe he was also agreeing to keep my work permit active until that time too, because he was approached by one of the Thai staff about this issue earlier today. Thank God cause I was really worried. I simply could not leave the country at 9 months pregnant nor could I leave the country with a newborn baby to have to take care of. At least I know I won't have severe penalties and fees from overstaying, but still, it's a screwed up system.

1 comment:

Indiamommy said...

Whew! That was a close call. Glad you got your status all worked out!

Jyotsna