Saturday, April 02, 2005

Lotsa free time

With no work for me until the last two weeks of April, Golf and I have been just cozying up in our apartment all day long. I'm too pregnant to want to go out and do anything -- it's also in the mid-90s every single day here in Bangkok. We are both concerned about the amount of energy we are using for electricity. We've just got to have the AC on all the time, or else it's simply way too hot. My body temperature is already elevated due to my being preggo as it is. This time of year is also moving into the hottest part of the year, around April-June or July. We're talking upper 90s to low 100s. I can't just sit in an apartment all day long with nothing to cool me! Sometimes I will turn off the AC and have the fan directly on me and I use a spray bottle of water to mist all over, but that works only for a few hours. I eventually get too hot. We're just going to have to deal with a few more high electricity bills before we move back to CA. And we keep the AC on 25 C, which is an energy efficient temperature. I can't wait to live in a cooler climate again. It sucks to either have AC on or be too hot -- either/or. :( I look forward to opening a window and feeling FRESH, COOL air coming through. <<>> Only a few more months to wait...

Speaking of high energy costs, I saw that San Francisco reached the highest price for gas in the entire nation on Friday. From the SFGate article: "Prices were highest in San Francisco, where a gallon of regular unleaded gas was selling for $2.53. A gallon was $2.48 in Oakland, $2.44 in San Jose, Fresno and Santa Cruz, and $2.43 in Salinas and Yuba City, according to the automobile association" Golf and I plan to own ONE car, and we plan to use it sparingly -- trips we cannot make on foot or bicyle or for his job when he has to go on site, or for big grocery hauls or for visiting friends and family. This is an area where we must be frugal, because it looks like a huge money pit.

Lastly, I had a terrible night trying to sleep. If you really want to know about it, read about it in my pregnancy journal. It's going to be a long 2 month road ahead!



2 comments:

Indiamommy said...

Hi Amy,

I read your post today and just wanted to say...hang in there!

Very sorry to see that you are feeling so hot. I have often wondered how people in India cope towards the end, as most don't have AC there. Maybe lots of cool showers will help too.

I had a hard time coping heat wise in India, so I just took lots of those bucket and cup "showers" with cold water mostly.

Just wanted to let you know I feel for you!

Jyotsna

Amy T said...

Thank you, Jyotsna!