Sunday, July 17, 2005

Differences in baby care

I have a book published in the States called What to Expect the First Year, and the dos and don'ts in it sometimes are different from what I've observed here in Thailand with regard to baby care.

1. Don't immerse your newborn in a full bath before the umbilical cord stump falls off. In Thailand, we watched as the nurses at the hospital bathed Aidan in a full tub of water. We then followed the same instructions at home. We then treated the stump site with betadine and there was never any problem at all.

2. Never use pillows in a crib. Thais use pillows all the time. Not for the head, but for back support and a round bolster pillow to put between the legs. Our baby uses these pillows just fine.

3. Always keep the baby on his back when sleeping. Aidan's hardly ever slept on his back. He prefers side lying, and from how much pillows are used in this country, I think most Thais put their babies to sleep on their sides too. I personally think it's safer -- if the baby spits up, he won't choke on it, it will seep out the side of his mouth instead.

4. Baby needs bathing only once a week before he starts to crawl. In Thailand, a hot, humid country, parents bathe their babies once a day. We do with Aidan too, for the most part. Sometimes we skip one day. We're also in an AC room for the most part anyway...

That's all that I can think of for now.. I'm sure there will be more as Aidan gets older. But the book makes it sound like if you don't follow their guidelines to the letter you're putting your baby in danger, which is preposterous.

5 comments:

Indiamommy said...

There is a small group of natural mama's in our city that goes around pulling WTE books off the shelves, putting them back on the carts to be put away. Some of the moms put the WTE books ON HOLD, all of this to prevent new mothers from getting them. They still get to some however.

The WTE series is probably what is wrong with babies in America. It is so widely used, almost religiously, that everyone takes the books advice, than thinking it out for themselves. You might consider burning it. : )

Jyotsna

Mel said...

Yeaaahhh, what ever happen to good old "intuition"? I'm sure those books must be written with the ignorant masses who have the ability to sue in mind. "what would work for *everyone*?"

Melinda said...

I have to agree with Jyotsna's assessment of the WTE books. They are crap! Pick up a copy of Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book" instead, if you like. Or just trust your intuition. :)

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

We use Sears' The Baby Book and our intuition. ;) I totally agree with jyotsna. So many Americans don't know how to think for themselves or trust their mommy insticts, which I think leads to a lot of CIO. :(

I love learning about how other cultures raise their children. Is there more babywearing in Thailand than in the states?

Anyway, I'm just taking a peek around your blog. Your son is adorable. :) Congratulations!

Amy T said...

I will certainly check out Dr. Sears' book. I already have his website bookmarked. I got the WTE book(s) because we have limited choices here for English language books and bookstores. I don't think that one was on offer and the WTE books, in my ignorance were the only ones that I had heard of before, therefore, thought were good.

amygeekgrl -- Baby wearing in Thailand -- parents either just carry their children when they go someplace or they use a stroller in the shopping mall. The sidewalks here are horrendus and a stroller cannot be used, so you're forced to wear your baby. I have a sling and a Snuggli carrier, both of which are just too dang hot to use here, so I just carry Aidan around. Once we get back to the States, I plan to use the sling and carrier and use the stroller to take him out for exercise/power walks.