Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Close-up of First Offering


Just about all food offerings contain the same items. There are 5 small cups of whisky, which we fill partially before prayer. After the incense is lit and we've prayed, we fill the cups two more times. There are also two cups of tea, three different types of fruit (oranges must be there). Various deserts and cakes, peanut candies, such as that you see right next next to the cakes. There is also pork for well being, a whole fish, and a whole steamed chicken.

2 comments:

Indiamommy said...

Hi Amy,

On your "First Offering" post, I have a question about it:

Are you and Golf Buddhist? I thought it was very similar to Hinduism, the way the food was presented. And the little lights. But of course the meats are not part of normal Hindu offerings (except in some places like Calcutta ect).

Just curious about the offering, and if you could tell more about religion and spirituality in your family.

Jyotsna

Amy T said...

Hi Jytsna
Golf is born a Thai Buddhist, but his parents practice Theraveda Buddhism and Chinese Taoism, hense the type of offerings given. The Chinese New Year photos taken are purely Chinese Taoist rituals, mostly in direct conflict with the philosophies of Buddhism.

As I said, my husband is Buddhist, and as I had been drawn toward Hinduism before meeting him, the Buddhist practices are also appealing. For myself personally, I tend to blend both religions into what I find to be most comfortable: Walk the middle path, do good to others, think good thoughts, have compassion, and I also believe in the cycle of rebirth and the extinguishing of Karma. Gosh, is that Hinuism or Buddhism? Honestly, I'm not sure, but it's what is true in my heart. Taoism is not true in my heart, but when I pray to the Gods and ancestors, I am acknoledging and respecting spiritual forces in this Great Universe. :)

Amy