Monday, February 28, 2005

Monday morning thoughts

I've had this theory for many years, that the key to being thin--or at your healthy weight, I should say--is to eat in moderation with smaller portions than what most restaurants in America serve up. Since moving to Thailand, I've gotten used to smaller portions and for awhile I also thought that the Asian diet was THE healthy way to eat, as I lost about 15 pounds without even trying.

While I do think it's healthy, I also think it doesn't contain near enough vegetables and too many foods are fried. And being raised in a western society, I simply love bread, cheese, pasta, and other foods that Asians don't eat. I also love the real thing. I don't care for all the super low fat or fat free foods. I wanted to find out how to eat the things I love with the correct mindset not to binge on it, and enjoy it and still stay slim, something more difficult to do as I get older, now in my mid-30s. I also had the theory that the obesity epidemic in the States is due to the fact that people don't have the time to cook good meals at home anymore from scratch. They purchase all these pre-made foods with all sorts of additives, preservatives and fillers that make you eat more and feel less satisfied.

Well, lo and behold I found a book on just that subject! It's a brand new book published this year called French Women Don't Get Fat, by Mireille Guiliano. She's a born and raised French woman who knows French culture and American culture both, and can compare how both cultures on the attitude toward food, diets and exercise. I happened to find this book at Asia Books yesterday and so I snatched it up and have not been able to put it down. I'm determined to not be a fatty after having my baby and I know this is possible to achieve!!!

No comments: