Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Petty gossip

Yesterday I was confronted by a colleague who heard I made some comments about the behavior of her child. Yes, I made some comments to some other teachers, and it's perfectly fine that another person has different standards of behavior that are acceptable than I would have for my own. I f***ing HATE gossip, because the person or people who I was talking to about this one incident twisted it in their own perception and decided it was in the best interest of my other colleague to tell her all about it. To what end? Did it make my colleague feel good about the way she raises her child? No. It's the exact opposite. So when she confronted me yesterday I had to explain myself to her.

I'm not angry with her in the least, but I am angry with the person who decided to tell her what I said. I don't know who that person is, nor do I want to know, because it would do no good for me to confront that person too! I'm being overly sensitive, but I hate situations like this just the same. Some person out there gossiped just to make trouble for two co-workers and that's what I find disturbing. And yes, I gossiped too, so you could say that I'm getting what I deserve.

So I'm finding I don't want to confide in anybody but my own husband, and I haven't even said anything about this to him yet. I want to let it go because it really is not a big deal, which is why I haven't said anything. But I do need to get my frustrations off my chest, and writing about it in my blog has helped. OK. It's done. I feel better now.

1 comment:

Mel said...

It is frustrating to be misunderstood, and it hurts. It is also hard being around other people everyday that you don't feel like you can confide in, and can totally be yourself without concern around them. But that's what makes friends so great, two people who have chosen to be truthful to each other and always think the best of the other. But you're right in not making too big a deal out of it, since not even you would benefit from that. Fuhgedaboudet! ;)