Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Holiday today

Today's a public holiday here in Thailand, called Makha Bucha Day, and it's a Buddhist holiday. It's the day that 1,250 came to the Lord Buddha's first teaching all by chance -- they knew intuitively to come.

So we're just staying around the apartment today, spending it like any other weekend day, just relaxing, getting some housework done. I've been putting together a homemade cookbook. Now and then I like buying magazines here, often ones that have quite a few recipes in them, so when I'm finished reading the magazine, I cut out the recipes I think sound the best. I'm also on Epicurious.com, and I'll often go there and print out recipes on recycled paper which I cut out and stick into my cookbook. I remember how my mother had index cards of recipes she cut out or hand wrote, so this idea is along that vein.

On Monday, I called in sick. Or I should say I called in lazy! Until Monday, I had not taken one sick day, and still I tried to be courteous to the teachers who would have to substitute my classes -- Mondays are light days and I teach only two classes. So with Monday off and today off, it's only a three day work week for me.

Because I work only three days, I called the tailor to alter my two dresses I wear most often to work to put a triangular insert in the skirt part of the dress and take out the sides near the boobs to accomodate my growing body parts to last me til the 9th month. The dresses were starting to sqeeze my belly. They should be done by this weekend. One of the parents gave me a maternity dress, she also gave me a muumuu to wear around the house! I'll have to wear the dress at last once to be polite, the muumuu, I don't know -- I'll have to be desperate, but in my 9th month, who knows!?!?!

No comments: