Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Day

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Yesterday our party was a success at school, but it was nearly a disaster. Sue, my colleague, worked incredibly hard organizing the event, since she was put in charge of it, and it was her first time doing this. She's Thai, but has lived in the States since she was very small, so she's American in her culture.

Anyway, the singing was supposed to begin at 12:50, right after lunch, and this was clearly stated in the invitations given to the parents. And it did begin, right on time the kids were up on stage, singing their carols beginning with G1. Well, many parents didn't arrive until 1:00, many of them G1 parents. So guess what we had to do???? Start the whole thing over again!!!! ONLY IN THAILAND, I tell you. Sue had the whole thing planned out, and the foreign teachers, who also helped put on this party were furious. We go by a time schedule -- there was a limited amount of time to sing the songs, play the scheduled games, and then have the Secret Santa gift exchange -- and the way the director of the school pandered to the parents was just pathetic, and a couple of the foreign teachers were rather bold about this to his face. Is it the school's fault that some parents chose to come late? Sue was so upset she lost it and was crying really hard, and I felt so bad for her. All us foreign teachers said that this is the absolute LAST time we EVER do an event at this school.

The good news is that the rest of the party went off alright. Once the games started the kids were having fun, as were the teachers, and we got through the party and it was a success, and miraculously it didn't end up running over time. I got a ton of gifts from students and their parents, and they're sitting on the couch right now waiting to be opened for Christmas morning. I'm going to have Golf help me open them. :) Then tonight we will be meeting my colleagues at the Dubliner for Christmas Dinner. It's very expensive, but this will be our last year having Christmas away from home (my home anyway) and the rest of the time after that we'll be enjoying home cooking. So we'll splurge a little!

So last night Michelle had a gathering at her apartment, and Golf ended up having so much fun talking with everybody. I did too. :) My colleagues are all very nice people. We bitched about the Christmas party and how happy we were to have until Jan. 4th off. Oh, and how at the end of the party after the teachers exchanged gifts, the Director comes up to thank everyone for such a good job, and have a good holiday and by the way in mid-January there is a special teacher's trip to go out of town together for the whole weekend. All us foreign teachers were looking at each other like, What??, I ain't goin' ANYWHERE, thank you very much. Now that I'm preggo, my husband does not leave my side, and I would rather stay at home and enjoy my time off!!! So, ah, NO THANK YOU. We also talked about Thai politics, ghosts, I mean you name it, once they had a couple of beers it was a free-for-all conversation. I just ate too much junk food and wasn't hungry for dinner. What a bad mother! I will be eating well today though!

Last but not least, the best Christmas present of all came last night just before I went to sleep with Golf. He told me how he was thinking about his strategies on how to make a living for us when we move back to the Bay Area, and that's why he sounded a little down when I called him earlier that afternoon. As he was telling me all about this, I suddenly was able to completely put myself in his shoes and I felt the burden of responsibility he has with a wife and child for him to support. I can't imagine what that must feel like -- no longer earning a living just to keep yourself in the basic necessities, but two other people. My love for my husband just suddenly filled my heart to overflowing and I just about cried. And I told him I would do whatever I can to help him, and I will always do my best. I love you so much honey!!!

No comments: