Thursday, December 09, 2004

Good news and not so good news

The good news is that today Golf is supposed to sell his condo, which will bring a nice little nest egg for our move back to the States and to be used mostly to fund Golf's business. What a relief! He should be finished with the transaction later this morning.

The not so good news is that I have simply gained way too much weight so far. We had our doctor's appointment yesterday and I gained nearly 9 pounds in one month!!! I couldn't sleep last night, I was so disturbed. There are no scales here that are accurate except at the doctor's office, so it is difficult for me to monitor my weight, or I think I weigh less than I actually do. The biggest change I made for pregnancy eating is having a nice breakfast in the morning down in the cafeteria at school. And now I think that's the main problem. So I'm going back to my fruit and yogurt prepregnancy breakfast but add in a small sandwich or crackers with a little peanutbutter -- just one more little thing to go with the fruit n yogurt. Then I will have a good snack, ONE serving at lunch with fruit and a sensible dinner. I also have to slow down my eating. I eat very fast if I am feeling hungry. I am, as of this morning, keeping a food diary for the rest of my pregnancy. See, even if I gain one pound a week until delivery, I will have gained 40 pounds total. The one-pound-a-week is the ideal guideline, so I must really, really try. I hope this new strategy works. We are also going to purchase a scale so I can monitor carefully every day. OF COURSE the main concern is for a healthy baby, and I plan to continue to eat healthily, as a matter of fact, a lot less cookies and other sweets, which I eat, but no more than before pregnancy. I need to cut back for pregnancy.

Yesterday at the doctor's I also had a blood test called the triple screen, which looks for Down's Syndrome. We will know the results on the 14th.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Condo?! I know so little about Golf. Half of my best friend's life is a complete mystery to me. ;) That is great news though, and comforting for me to hear.

Weight gain - yeah, I could see how it would be all too easy to feel like pregnancy is the best excuse in the world to be indulged in every way. Don't worry about it though, just take action. I imagine your baby experiences your emotions, so all the more reason to teach it loving willpower and discernment for one's own health is a valuable thing. :) And just because your stomach growls doesn't indicate starvation, or even danger to the baby (I suppose). Good luck, and keep encouraging Golf to be supportive, you won't regret it later. :)

(insert hug here)