Saturday, December 18, 2004

Getting to simplicity

I was reading some online Yoga Journal articles and ran across one about simple living and the Holiday season. About 12 years ago or so when I just started college, I implored my parents and sisters not to do Christmas presents that year because I felt it was a waste of money and stressful. They agreed. My philosophy was, why break my already small bank account on presents they may not want anyway -- just to fulfill the obligation of consumerism in Christmas?!?! This was at a time when I worked at Pottery Barn in the mall and every Christmas, I saw thousands of people who were stressed to the point of breaking and obviously not enjoying this 'Season of Giving'. I thought to myself, give a spontaneous gift at another time of year and REALLY surprise them! And other thoughts like, Christmas is about being together and enjoying each other's company around some good food. NOT going shopping!

I want to limit my child's material gifts during Christmas. I would also like to give something back to the community with my child once he or she gets a little older. I mean that's what the season is all about and I want to instill that valuable moral into him or her.

Anyway, this online article cited a website, the Seeds of Simplicity, and I would like to become a member upon returning. Our world is so caught up in consumerism and materialism and it's difficult not to succomb to its seduction. I will need support. I'm already jealous that I cannot live in a house upon returning to the Bay Area, with a new family. But I am eternally greatful for my hard working husband, who is giving his all to support his family, and this is what I focus on. Our healthy home environment, no matter if it is an apartment or a house, is our family sanctuary.

If any of you have any other resources for simple living, please email me!

No comments: