Friday, December 31, 2004

Enjoying my time off

So yesterday we went into town to do some errands, have lunch and see a movie. We first got to the mall that was taking donations for the tsunami victims. Golf had a bunch of clothes he was going to sort through before we moved, so he did it yesterday and donated a big bag. We also dropped some money into the collection box. I didn't feel it was a whole lot, but we did do something so I felt better about it.

After that we went out to eat at a place recommended to me by one of my colleagues. It supposedly had really great hamburgers for alot less money. Usually if I crave a really good hamburger, I'd go to Outback Steakhouse, but it's very pricey and I don't like spending that kind of money. This place, however, was a hole in the wall bar. And the hamburger was delicious!

Then we walked back to that mall and saw the movie, National Treasure. It was very good and while it wasn't Raiders of the Lost Ark quality, I still enjoyed it very much. I love treasure-seeking adventure movies and besides this one and Raiders, I also enjoyed the early 80s movie called Sphinx, based on the even better book by Robin Cook. Anyway, Golf and I are indulging ourselves in going to the movie theater here to see as many movies as we can before the baby comes. We can afford it here and we know that once we go back to the States, besides the fact that we won't be able to up and go to a movie, it's simply too expensive to go see movies in the theater.

Speaking of books, after the movie, we went to the used bookstore nearby so I could sell back about four books I had finished reading (don't want clutter!) and when I was browsing through the store to see if there was anything I'd want to trade for, out jumped the book, Your Money or Your Life, which is the Voluntary Simplicity movement's bible!!! Sometimes when you are on life's right track, the way just opens up for you. Who would have thought that the very book I had been dying to read since discovering the Simplicity movement, would be in a used book store in Bangkok?!?!? I was so thrilled and of course, I bought it immediately.

At home, we've been watching DVDs that my colleague, Michelle, lent to us. She buys a ton of them and we get to borrow them when she's finished. I just finished season 2 of Six Feet Under which I enjoyed alot, and have since started watching season 1 of The West Wing. I'm not enjoying that show. It's too fast paced, people talk so fast, and about things I don't know about and I don't know who the people are. It almost stresses me to watch it, it goes so fast and is so intense. And some of the people in it are immensely annoying. I will maybe watch one more espisode and if it doesn't get any better, I won't watch anymore. Forget about it!

Oh, last thing. Tonight for New Year's Eve, Golf and I plan to go to this little bar and grill that's right next to the grocery store. It's a five minute walk from our condo building and they serve great food and have a nice ambience. I'll see if my pregnant body can stay awake until midnight! Happy New Year everybody!

No comments: