Saturday, January 08, 2005

Frustrations abound!

It started last week, when I wanted to transfer the majority of my money in my Krung Thai bank account into my Bangkok Bank account because KT sucks! I had to open an account with them so I could get paid through direct deposit with my school. They don't have many ATMs and if they do have them, half the time they aren't working properly. First I tried transferring funds through the ATM. No luck, I was over the limit both times. So we went to the bank to do it in person on Monday. Closed due to observance of New Year's Day. So we try the next day after work. Closed by 4:30. OK so try #4 should work. I get off work 45 minutes early to make this transaction. They don't do transfers after 1 PM. WHY?!?!!? The worker told Golf it's because the bank's systems aren't up to par with those in the USA. Goddamn I can't wait to come back home on days like that.

Then day after day, the internet doesn't work very well. I get connected at 9.6, then 14.4, then again at 16. Right now I'm blazing through the websites at a whopping 28.8 on a 56k modem. Gotta love the antique phone lines in this country! And this is after getting disconnected about 5 times.

Today was a good day nonetheless, because it's SATURDAY. We had a family function to go to, it's Golf's sister's death anniversary, and we went to the temple to make merit on her behalf by feeding five monks their lunch, having prayers and making food and supply donations. Her picture with some of her cremains in a small urn was part of an altar and a white string connected with her cremains ran from the urn to her picture to the Buddha altar right to the Lord Buddha image himself. It was very nice and I said a prayer in her honor. I think it's a very nice way of remembering our dearly departed every year, by giving and donating on their behalf and praying on their behalf every year they are gone.

Baby's been kicking away since Wednesday! Feels like the gassy bubbles, and it's not altogether pleasant, but I hope it will become better. I like feeling it, however, knowing my little guy is getting fit and strong!

No comments: