Friday, January 28, 2005

Sports Day

Today is Sports Day at our school. Thais make a HUGE deal about it and the teachers look like they are having just as much fun as the students. Most of us foreign teachers don't get it. I certainly don't. It's going to be an all day thing at the fitness center next door to us. The Thai staff wanted us to teach the students some English cheers, which we did, and do the students use them now? No. EVERYTHING is in Thai and that's why it's really boring to us. Eh, nevermind. I plan to sneak out early and work on my final exams, due in one week. They won't miss me, they're having too much fun. A few of the other foreign teachers will likely do the same thing. After enduring the endless noise of constant cheering, tambourine and drum beating, we could use the respite of some quietude AND it's hot as hell too. I plan to meet my husband for some lunch at a nearby cafe. Wish me luck to get away with it! LOL!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Heh, this reminds me of something we had in elementary school called "Field Day". I remember we had all these fun obstacles/games we would play outside in an organized team-like fashion. We had an "Earth ball" which was bigger than us, maybe five feet tall, and we'd all participate in rolling this gigantic globe around the field. But I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it either if it was in a language I couldn't understand. Sounds like this event is like a "spirit week" or something, but I imagine you would get that if it really was like that. Hang in there buddy, at least you have a gritch (remember? gripe and bitch?) crew for solidarity! ;)