Saturday, January 01, 2005

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Here we are, everybody, at 2005!
Yesterday Golf and I discussed our future, in 2005. I have a stamp in my passport that allows me to be here until September 10th. Now if I can stay here regardless if I'm working or not, (if I have a work permit) then I told Golf that I'd like to return to the States as soon as possible, like when the baby's 2 1/2 or 3 months old. That would give me six weeks of postpartum healing, plus a couple more weeks to get things together, pack, and get the Baby's documents in order (like getting a passport for him or her). This is, of course, assuming our baby will arrive on time and healthy. But how exciting this is for me! We could possibly return a couple months earlier than we had thought. I just have to ensure my passport situation with our admin immigration expert at school if I would be allowed to stay without a work permit. Golf will start his immigration process in mid February, because it takes about five months for a visa to be granted to let him stay in the US.

On a more grim note, last night before we went to sleep, Golf and I remembered where we were New Year's Eve last year. We had just returned from the Similan Islands and were staying at the coastal town of Khao Lak. This year, Khao Lak has been flattened and utterly devestated from the tsunami disaster six days ago. There are thousands dead and thousands still missing just in this town alone!

This morning, Golf and I are going to the temple to make merit for the new year. I will say a prayer while I'm there for all those who lost their lives or for those who are searching for missing relatives. It just keeps getting worse.


1 comment:

...just-rambling... said...

Hope the New Year brings you and your family many reasons to celebrate!