Friday, March 18, 2005

Community Supported Agriculture

As I was reading another food blog, I came across a reader's comments about how he is a member of a CSA -- Community Supported Agriculture and he also gave a link to Terra Firma Farms. I was curious, and so checked it out. In my online food research, I discovered that CSAs are heartily recommended for eating seasonally, eating good organic produce and for supporting local farmers. I learned more about local agricultural support when I came across the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market website.

The great thing about the Terra Firma CSA is that I could even join and there are many locations to pick up the weekly order all around the Bay Area, one in Oakland and one in Alameda, both contenders of where we'd like to live.

I may, before joining, check out farmer's markets first, to see how much I would spend weekly there. The thing I like about Terra Firma is that a selection of in season produce is already made FOR you. I won't have to choose for myself, and being a complete newbie to farmer's markets, I wouldn't have much of a clue. I may just go for it upon returing.

I also talked to Golf about having an increased food budget, to afford higher quality food and budget more sharply other categories of running our household. He's all for it. I want our family to eat healthfully. When I grew up, I was living on a five acre farm with an organic vegetable garden and a variety of fruit trees. I took it for granted all the fresh, seasonal bounty our family enjoyed for many years. I want that same healthy choice for my child, but since we will be living in the city, we will have to pay for it. Living in the country you pay for it by planting the crops, tending the garden, watering the trees, harvesting, canning, freezing... the list is endless. Of course when I was a kid I didn't do all the hard laboring stuff, but I had my share of chores. In the present time, living in the city, I'll have to pay for that service, which is a little more costly than the produce at Safeway or Albertson's, but the taste is so much better as is the quality. And I think it's a bargain when compared to area natural food stores such as Whole Foods.

So as I'm waiting for the baby to arrive, I'm researching cooking, budgeting, being thrifty. I want NOT to work, I want to make it on my husband's income. So I'm trying to do lots of the legwork now, on the internet. It's been a fun adventure so far! :)

Do you like the larger size font? I think it's a little easier to read.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I like the larger font. Your blog is very interesting.

Dawn said...

I like the larger font. Your blog is very interesting.