Friday, October 08, 2004

Feeling better

I've been feeling better since yesterday morning and I was able to put in a day's work and get ready for my extra week of teaching. I also talked to my mother for a good 45 minutes on the phone before I left for work and it made me feel so happy! She and Dad both would like to come to Thailand for the baby's birth and Golf and I are both so thrilled!

Today is Golf's father's one year anniversary of his passing away. Today his family honored him the same way we honored his mother, with food, candles, incense, drink, and offerings of paper money, shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. that was burned. It's a very nice gesture and we certainly plan to continue this tradition in our family once we return to the States.

Tomorrow is our first prenatal appointment! Golf and I are both very excited about it, and today he called his niece, who recently gave birth at the same hospital, to ask about the cost of prenatal visits. Basically the doctor's visit, including the prenatal vitamins and anything else prescribed, should come to the equivalent of $36!!!! (1,500 Thai baht) This is not at an upcountry government hospital, folks. This is an international private hospital that has state of the art medical care! I'm very relieved to be having my baby here at this hospital. I will post again tomorrow when we return to tell you about the doctor's visit and what the bill really was.

On a final note: I've been having some vivid 'pregnancy dreams'. Last night I dreamed in great detail about making some good Mexican food. I really miss Mexican food. I dreamed of going to a small Mexican grocery and buying two very good avacados, some handmade corn tortilllas to bake in the oven for low fat tortillia chips, making fresh guacamole and salsa fresca, and eating a tamale and bean burrito. Oh god it sounded so delicious! I've been craving 'farang' food (good ole American food) for about a week or two now. I think it's just as much the wish to keep that which is familiar and comforting around me as it is an actual food craving.

1 comment:

Amy T said...

Anna -- I can't wait to try out your enchiladas, they sound HELLA good! Yesterday I got some tamales and quesadillas, but I'm sure they're not the same taste as back home. So sorry I can't be there for your wedding, and it's not just for the chips, salsa and guacamole either. :)