Sunday, November 07, 2004

A fantastic Saturday

Yesterday, Golf and I had our second pre-natal doctor's appointment. Rather than repost it here, please go to my pregnancy journal to read the exciting news!

Before our appointment, I got my Subway sandwich, which I think could be a monthly ritual before going to the hospital. :) I ate an entire footlong, but I was SOOO hungry by that time. I didn't even feel too full afterward. My god, a pregnant woman can sure pack away the food!

After our appointment, we went to a nearby mall that is our favorite to go to because it has far less people than the others. We went to the best bakery I have yet to find in Bangkok, because the breads there are to die for and inexpensive. I got a good supply of delicious bread with kalamata olives in them and some rye. I miss rye bread. Then we went on to the bookstore and I'm just going to have to wait to study Spanish once I return to the States because there are no language books for it here. Just a few dictionaries and beginning phrases. I want real lessons. So no Spanish books, but I did get a Yoga Journal magazine with some very good articles on limiting food portions (what a read after eating Subway, but I'm eating for two at the moment and not too fat!) and bettering your posture (a lifelong trouble-spot for me). It also came with a free sample DVD, and I plan to watch it today.

After that we went to a different mall nearby because it has an awesome grocery store selling all kinds of western food for me to stock up on for home. Before we went grocery shopping, I found some new maternity bras -- I bought two of them and I now fit comfortably in a size D cup! So now my pretty C's will have to wait til after breastfeeding before I can wear them again, it's gonna be some big ugly bras for awhile now. But it's for a good cause.

At the grocery store I got some beautiful Gouda cheese, just a real small bit to taste and savor. I MISS GOOD CHEESE! I also got some fat-free raspberry vinegarette salad dressing, some more chips n salsa and ready-made beef tamales which are really good! What else, some German-style parsley meat-loaf for sandwiches. I hope it's good. I miss having a wide range of choices of lunch meats. I miss smoked or honey turkey, pastrami, honey ham, roast beef, oven roasted chicken, etc. etc. etc.

Golf bought a new DVD called "Super-Size Me" which is a documentry of the obesidy epidemic in the US brought on mainly by fast food companies. The man does a self experiment by eating McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 30 days. It is a VERY interesting movie and I highly recommend it. Interestingly enough, the guy who did this said that when he was a kid, his mother ALWAYS cooked at home and they rarely went out to eat, it was like a treat. Just like my family -- my mother always cooked. I plan to do the same with my family once we return to the States. Nowadays, families eat out 40% of the time, and that's another reason they are fatter. Jeez, pay more money to eat out and get fatter in the process! I think I'll cook from scratch, thank you. I'm sure that my Mother's cooking at home all the time has influenced me now because I RARELY eat fast food. OK, Subway once a month or Pizza Hut even less cause Golf doesn't care for it. But hardly EVER McDonalds. When I want a hamburger, I want a real one. We went to Outback Steakhouse last time I craved a burger and it was MUCH more expensive, but it tasted better and was more satisfying. And it was NOT fast food. YECH. Anyway, thanks Mom! :)




1 comment:

Evan said...

Hello,
I was surfing blogs and came across yours. Interesting locale. I wonder what the attitude toward the U.S. election and Bush is there? You can visit my political blog at
donkey2004.blogspot.com