Saturday, November 20, 2004

So Happy it's Saturday

Yay, it's my favorite day of the week. Today we're meeting with my former colleague, Haviva, in town today for lunch at an Israeli restaurant that serves really great pita bread, hummus and babaganouch. I might get a schwerma, and I know Golf loves those too, so I think he'll get that too.

It will be an interesting visit, finding out all the goings-on at my former school. One thing she filled me in on is that my former employer is not letting anybody have a Christmas vacation. In the two years I worked there, we had one week off, with Christmas at the beginning of the holiday and New Year's Day at the end. Well, since Christmas is on a Saturday this time around, she's making people come into work M-F and I think they will get New Year's Day off, but that's it. And she thinks she can keep foreign teachers this way? None of the other schools are doing that, mine included. I'm SO glad I'm no longer employed there!

So, speaking of Christmas, a number of us foreign teachers will be around on Christmas day, since the last day of work is that Friday, Christmas Eve. We would really like to go out on the town and find a really nice restaurant that serves all the traditional Christmas fare and I'd really be into finding a British pub or restaurant to sample what the British eat every year. Mmmmm what wonderful comfort food! Golf is a great sport and is enthusiastic about joining us. Maybe if I'm around one of the pubs around there, and I will be today, I will pop in and ask about it. I'm willing to splurge a little for this little taste of home.

OK, one last thing, about the tastes of home: My colleage the other day, made homemade goulash and she gave me a bunch of it to take home. It tastes alot like beef stew and that's something I had been craving. Ohhh it was heavenly! I thought it was just SO nice of her to share. So to repay her kindness, I'm going to pick up some of my favorite breads for her at this fantastic bakery I go to just about every weekend. Then I'll make some of my salsa fresca and thow in a bag of tortillia chips. I told her I don't have a real kitchen and so I can't cook, but this is what I can do for an exchange. She then told me she was going to make lasagne over the weekend and might bring me some on Monday! Oh this preggo gal just can't say no! :)

With all this food talk: I'm now officially trying to be more attentive of how MUCH food I put into my mouth. I'm concerned about gaining too much weight. I eat nutritiously, but I eat too much, I think. I've gained a little too much in my first trimester, not a lot, just a little. But I want to have better control of my habits. I need to drink a big glass of water before my meals and most of all, SLOW DOWN while I eat. I feel just horrible when I'm all puffed out and bloated after dinner, and I get thirsty after all that, which makes me feel even worse in the end. So I'm trying to work on smaller meals (Golf is being more conscious about not gorging on his meals too) and just have a snack in between. I really only need just over 300 additional calories, according to the What to Expect When You're Expecting book, and I know I'm eating more than that. Writing this out feels better and makes me feel more committed to trying harder. No worries! I will NOT be starving my baby! I'm just going to eat more efficiently, as the book says. Don't eat excess food, just make sure what you do eat is very nutritionally sound.

I have less than one week before I enter my second trimester!!!!! :) :)

No comments: