Monday, November 22, 2004

Sunday Brunch on Monday

I got my Sunday Brunch a little late, but hey, it's a BIG time difference, so I don't mind a bit!

"I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
1) How do you cook your turkey? (Stuffing, spices, cooking bag, etcetera) My mother always did the stuffed roasted turkey -- I always helped her too. Next year, when I'm back home for Thanksgiving, I want to talk her into trying the brining method, where you soak the turkey for 24 hours in this salty, spice infused brine before roasting. I've been told it's VERY delicious.
2) What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Pumpkin cheesecake! Regular pumpkin pie is a close second and a close third is my mother's homemade apple pie.
3) What are you doing this year for Thanksgiving? Not a thing, since I live in Thailand.
:( I'm saving the feasting this year for Christmas.
4) Do you have any family traditions at Thanksgiving? No, not really. I always help mom in the kitchen at about 7 or 7:30 AM, we watch Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and I go on a powerwalk with my sister BEFORE dinner. We eat dinner between 1 or 2, and then my dad watches football on TV while the rest of us nap. The evening is ususally card or board games.
5) What one dish does it just not feel like Thanksgiving without besides turkey? My mother's traditional homemade cornbread southern-style stuffing. We make the cornbread baked in an iron skillet the night before, then slice it into cubes the next morning for the stuffing. It is so delicious and I miss it!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Family Traditions - how about Dad's invitation to a "shot of Chartreuse"? Or Melly coming over to eat your family's pie? Or videotaping the feasting? I'll miss those all too. :)

Amy T said...

Hee hee! I kinda forgot about that! OF COURSE your coming over an eatin' pie with us is a treasured family tradition. Next year, Mellie, for sure. :) I'll make sure we have some Charteuse too!