Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Thai censorship

I just don't understand. In the movies that come to Thailand, mostly from the USA, the Thai government censors. You'll see a blur over a cigarette being sucked on, a breast, drinking alcohol and any kind of drug use. Alright, I accept that, in this country there is no freedom of expression in the arts. This is not the United States, afterall. However, last night I was watching the Thai news with Golf at 7:30 PM. We had just finished dinner and were still sitting at the table. Then it shows a bus that had crashed and run over a car. It showed the mangled car beneath and an arm and leg sticking out. It had close-ups. It had different angles. And I can't believe they show this kind of stuff on prime time news when children are awake! The scenes made me feel sick to my stomach. No wonder Thais seem to have much less a sense of value for life.

No comments: